Which image speaks to you? (Don't just pick one that you like.) Select your image of choice from the larger slideshow below.
What do you see? What do you feel? What does it remind you of?
All images were posted on Twitter by disabled persons with the hashtag #disabledjoy
- A person with long pink hair and fair-toned skin is smiling into the camera. They’re dressed up in formal clothes – a dark dress with a ribbon sash, a cardigan, and a set of beaded bracelets. The photo shows that they are using a wheelchair. In the background is a sidewalk.
- A person with two braided pigtails leans their head against their hand and smiles into the camera. They’re wearing a necklace and shirt, and they have olive-toned skin. The sun is streaming toward the camera.
- A person is standing with a walking stick between a wall and a very long, full bookcase. The person is wearing a glamorous long skirt and chunky sweater. They have glasses, long hair, and medium-toned skin and are smiling.
- A person is dressed in a Wonder Woman costume with a gold headband and a superhero bustier. They have long curly hair, dark-toned skin, and manicured nails. They’re smiling into the camera and using a mobility assistive device.
- A person with shoulder-length brown hair and fair-toned skin is standing triumphantly on top of two rocks. Their arms are approximately the length of half-length sleeves, and in one hand, they’re holding a cell phone. They’re wearing sunglasses and pastel-colored clothes. Behind them is a picnic bench and tropical foliage.
- An adult and child are walking on a hiking trail beside a body of water. Both people have fair-toned skin and are wearing long sleeves and pants and hiking shoes. The child is in front, wearing glasses, and holding the adult’s hand. The adult has a beard and is using a long branch to assist with hiking.
- A person wearing a leather jacket, tights, and a bright, flowing, knee-length dress is in a wheelchair in a graffitied alcove on a city street. They’ve got an uninhibited smile, curly shoulder-length hair, and medium-toned skin. The alcove is dark with tons of light graffiti and stickers on its walls.
- A person with long pink hair, light-toned skin, and a bright tank top and pants is joyously holding out their arms. They’re at the beach and using an all-terrain wheelchair. It’s a lightly cloudy day, and the beach stretches far behind them.
- A person stands in front of a painting of a rainbow with their hands in their coat pockets. They are smiling into the camera, and they have long curly hair and light-toned skin.
- A person is at a vineyard, and grape vines stretch back behind them. The person is smiling and has fair-toned skin. They’re wearing sunglasses, flower-print pants, and a t-shirt that says “nostalgic for the present.”
- A person with short hair is standing in the water at a beach. They’re using forearm crutches. They’re smiling and they have medium-toned skin, and they’re wearing athletic pants and a funny t-shirt that says, “I thought I wanted a career. Turns out I just wanted paychecks.” Behind the person are a couple of people playing in the water.
- A person with lime-green buzzed hair and light-toned skin is at the penguin exhibit at a zoo. They’re smiling into the camera. They’re wearing a denim jacket with lots of pins attached to it, and they’re using an electric scooter. They have a walking stick in a backpack on the back of the scooter, and the handle of the stick is the same color as their hair.